Ladies, do you have medically diagnosed PCOS or any of these symptoms:
• Hirsutism (excessive, stiff or pigmented hair growth on the face, chest or back)?
• Scalp hair loss or male pattern baldness?
• Acne, particularly hormonal or cystic?
• Skin tags on the neck or armpits?
• Weight gain or trouble losing weight?
• Irregular menstrual cycles or no cycle at all?
• Trouble conceiving?
If you answered YES to any of the above; you may have PCOS, an excess or an imbalance in androgen hormones or reproductive hormones and/or an imbalance in insulin or blood sugar.
These conditions may also lead to further health problems such as obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol, sleep apnoea and/or mood disorders such as anxiety or depression.
Conventional medicine treatment is often the oral contraceptive pill (which masks the symptoms) or medications such as Metformin (diabetes prevention/management), Statins (high cholesterol), Letrozol (a breast cancer drug used to stimulate the ovaries), hormone injections and Spironolactone (an androgen blocker).
All of these drugs have their place however, wouldn’t you like to improve your symptoms naturally and effective by targeting the root cause?
Laser hair removal or skin tag removal can help with improving one’s appearance however, it’s important to make some dietary and lifestyle changes.
Holistically, I would suggest to incorporate some, if not all of the following:
1. Exercise; regular, long, moderate pace walking or swimming and weight baring exercises; daily or as often as possible.
2. Diet; one particularly low in simple carbohydrates, low sugar or low-GL (Glycaemic Load).
3. De-stress; take a relaxing bath with magnesium salts, take a long walk with a friend or loved one, yoga, stretching, meditation, read a book, listen to relaxing music or drink a herbal tea.
Furthermore, in same cases, nutritional supplementation (by prescription only) can be very effective in regulating or reducing blood sugar, balancing hormones and improving PCOS symptoms.
Cinnamon and raw cacao are highly nutritious ingredients that you can incorporate into meals or drinks to help balance blood sugar and they are also high in antioxidants.
Each individual case is very different and quite complex and usually with underlying conditions or contributing factors, therefore it’s important to book a consultation with me so I can carefully and thoroughly asses your case, request pathology and provide an accurate and detailed short and long-term plan and prescription.
Upon request, I am able to provide an individualised, detailed dietary plan for weight loss or any other health concerns you may have.
Love and Health,
BHSc (Nutritional Medicine)